Monday, August 9, 2010

Ephemera

Some of you may have picked up it was my birthday last week.  Two of my gifts were books - Twilight and New Moon and I promptly climbed into them only emerging for meals and childcare!  Suffice to say I'm a ferocious reader when a story really grabs me; and I finished both by Thursday morning (started Tuesday night).  It's meant a few late nights catching up on the 'to do' list but I'm just about there.  Now I'm plotting and scheming how I can afford the next two in the series.  I haven't read for pleasure in years.  Anyone else had a book that really grabbed them they could recommend? (I like romance, adventure, travel type books).

Thought I would share my love for old stuffy stuff today.  My mother blessed me with two birthday gifts - firstly the typewriter - its a Remington, a proper clacker.  I certainly won't be breaking any speed records with this thing, but I'm keen to try it out on some scrapbooking projects.  Check out my budding writer - I am somewhat happier about letting her loose on this thing than on our laptop!
I also got an old 60's Elna to take to my night classes with more fancy stitches than you can poke a stick at.  It has personality, and to date refuses to sew a narrow zigzag with every third stitch being wider than the previous two - like a heart monitor (do you think its trying to tell me something?)


Importantly, it sews a straight stitch well... after I had had a few choice words with it!  I'm starting back my beginner dressmaking classes this Wednesday, so I have a couple of days to tinker with my new toy before then.  Also, big news - I have a part time job.  Not only am I teaching at Stitch, I'll be working behind the counter Tuesday and Wednesday mornings.  Its going to be very very hard not to reinvest my wages back into the shop's till.  Very hard. (sigh) I did put it out there about 6 weeks ago that it would be very nice to have some extra income and not be literally on the bones of my butt every week, and it seems like all my plans and schemes have come to fruition all at once.  Yikes! Well, I did ask for it, and I'm grateful.  I want to say I big thank you to those of you would have supported me via my Felt shop lately.  You know who you are, and your ace!

Speaking of the Felt shop, all around my sewing machine (the big industrial affair) I have bundles of garments and a rack of finished pieces all ready to photograph.  Photography is not my forte and I have been kinda procrastinating on that, but I went to a Craft Business meeting last week where we discussed product photography, so I feel a wee bit more confident (if not overwhelmed).  If you're in to doing markets or have an online shop this is a great blog to check out with heaps of ideas, tips and advice.  If you're in the Christchurch area, we met once a month for a wine and a natter (its semi structured around a topic) and its a great way to connect with other fabulously talented people.

Hope all is well in your world.
Notchka

6 comments:

  1. Ooh, I'd love an old typewriter for scrapbooking! They add such charm, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh Stitch looks lovely! I heard about it a wee while back, but wasn't sure of it's exact location. I'll have to pop in for a browse sometime!

    The universe can be quite good at giving you what you want, and not always how you'd planned it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha Rose, you are not wrong as far as the universe is concerned!! Would love to see your friendly face at Stitch sometime

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad my tulips inspired you! They are fading now, I will have to get some more lovely flowers I think!

    By the way, I am IN LOVE with the gorgeous dresses in your shop... Totally saving up for one - hope no one gets there before me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your blog. You're super talented and I enjoy your creative musings, from your projects to motherhood :D

    "Eat, Pray, Love" Elizabeth Gilbert is a good read of adventure, romance and travel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for your kind words and the book recommendation anonymous person out there in the blogosphere :)

    ReplyDelete

It makes my day to recieve your comment, so thanks for taking the time! :o)