Saturday, August 14, 2010

My Momma


My grandmother (who we call Momma) is in her 90's a very bright, spry person. I love this picture of her because of the story that goes with it. Momma and her best friend made their slacks in secret because in was her mother's opinion that only 'fast women' wore slacks.  Marlene Dietrich for example was definitely a fast women. 

Some time soon after they went on a girly road trip, leaving in nice ladylike long skirts.  They biked to Ashburton from Christchurch - an unsealed road in her day and stayed overnight with an Aunt.  Here was the perfect opportunity to wear their up-to-the minute super stylish pants without the Mum's being any the wiser.

The took loads of snaps on their trip, but unfortunately forgot all about the forbidden bifurcated apparel and you can imagine what happened when the photos were processed.......

My Momma is the most gracious and humble human being I've ever met, she's also got a bit of a naughty side and I love that about her!

It makes me chuckle now to think that what my great-grandmother deemed unacceptable in the 1930's my mother would have been overjoyed to have seen me wear in the 1990's.  I know I snuck out of the house wearing things my mother thought 'objectionable' (I think her actual word was slutty) so you see the more things change the more they stay the same - now you know where I get the naughty streak from.

4 comments:

  1. A lovely story, brought a smile to my face. If you've never worn something deemed as inappropriate by your mother, you haven't lived!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha that is so cute! Love the fact that they went to all that trouble to hide their slacks and still got caught out by the camera. She sounds like a wonderful woman.

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha! What a great photo and story! Classic how patterns repeat themselves...

    ReplyDelete

It makes my day to recieve your comment, so thanks for taking the time! :o)