Monday, September 20, 2010

Hello again, here's a good recipe

Hi there
So I'm back....I've been on hiatus post-quake.  I guess its hard to explain or understand, but days and days of aftershocks is actually rather stressful, every time we have a decent one I break out into a sweat, my heart starts racing - its the whole fight or flight thing.  Anyways all that adrenaline doesn't make for good sleeps (nor does my wee one waking up each shake and freakin out), so I've been hanging out with my family and taking some time to do the things I love, rest and be kind to myself.  There have been heaps of trips to the beach - I always feel calm and happy after a trip to the seaside.

I've even dug out my recipe books and done a little baking. 

I want to share this recipe - its an 'oldy but a goody' - garnered from my Auntie.  I've made heaps of these because they use everyday, inexpensive ingredients (no butter, no eggs); its really quick - great for busy people; it keeps really well (not that its around long enough to have a 'shelf life' in our house); and its super flexible - you can come over all creative with the flavourings.

Weetbix Loaf

soak overnight:
3 weetbix crushed up
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups mixed fruit
1 1/4 cups milk

Next day..... mix in 1 1/2 cups self raising flour put in a loaf tin and bake at 180oC for about 40-50 mins.

And voila - yes there it is still warm from the oven dripping in butter...Yum!

Notes
So I mentioned different flavours - today was just dates, but we often do sultanas or for something a little more gourmet try apricot and walnut or crasins and flaked toasted almonds.  With the bigger fruits like dates and apricots I chop them roughly.

Also, I don't use enough self raising flour to warrant buy a bag of it as well as plain and wholemeal, I make my own using the following conversion:

To make self raising flour add 1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon of salt per 1 cup of plain flour.

1 comment:

  1. I love my weet-bix date loaf, but yours sounds even easier! It hadn't occurred to me to mix up the flavours, but the sound of the apricot, walnut and sultana variations is very inspiring. mmmmmmnnnnn

    ReplyDelete

It makes my day to recieve your comment, so thanks for taking the time! :o)