Friday, December 3, 2010

When do you get your Christmas on?

Recently, I was challenged to write a post to describe the exact moment I come over all Christmassy.  To fuel my creative juices on the subject, Baker's Delight kindly supplied me with half a dozen mince pies to try for free.

I'm all about handmade and buying local and supporting the little guy, but man these mince pies were gooooood, really really.  We put them the oven after cooking the main meal for 5 min and served them warm with cream.  Huz said I could quote him as saying "These are the best [Christmas] mince pies I've ever had".  Specifically the pastry is crisp and the generous portion of Christmas mince inside is jucy and sweet with a little bite - I'm not even going to bother making tarts this year, with all the Christmas baking I've got goin on I'm gonna take a little shortcut with the pies.

So back to the question in hand: when do I come over all Christmasy?  I mulled it over in my mind last week and thoughts of pohutakawa blooming and our annual family pilgrimage to pick berries immediately sprung to mind.

I was in the supermarket at the time, staring blankly at sparkling wine trying to decide on a bottle for Huz's birthday BBQ .... a young guy came up to me and asked me where I got my brooch from, as he thought it would be a perfect Christmas pressie for his girlfriend. Then we got chatting and it turns out he's a barman and he helped me select something nice, but not overly expensive. While all this was going on a second man rocked up and started filling his trolley with said fizz. I commented that it must be good and he explained if he got enough for 'the girls' they would touch his two cases of beer on Christmas day. (bahahaha)

Then it hit me - this is it! This is my key Christmassy moment. Random strangers striking up conversations, being thoughtful and kind to one another with no thought for 'what's in it for me' (a bit of a disease in our society if you ask me *sigh*).

Since then I've noticed it more and more. Easy smiles. Courteousness. Graciousness. Lighthearted banter in the supermarket.

Joy to the world. *

Peace on Earth. **

It seems a shame that I only notice this at Christmas, but this isn't going to be one of those "Whats the world coming to?" posts. I'm revelling in the gentle Christmassy Christmas-ness that has me smiling at everyone and singing 'Fairytale of New York' and 'Snoopy's Christmas' to Lala in the car.
 


I trust you will have a joyous gracious Christmas dear reader, and if you're not feeling it today, try being that shining light.  I truly believe you get back what you put out.


* My favourite hymn ever
** Luke 2:14 - just in case you were wondering.

2 comments:

  1. Ahhh, my fave Christmassy song :) Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like that song too! Sometimes the christmas spirit hits you when you least expect it!

    ReplyDelete

It makes my day to recieve your comment, so thanks for taking the time! :o)