Sunday, March 20, 2011

"Grief is the price we pay for love"

- Prince William in his speech on Friday, quoting his Great-grandmother the late Queen Mother.
 
Hello you - well its been a busy week in the my world.  So the good news is:
a. our sinkhole isn't getting any bigger; and
b. it was assessed at the end of last week as important enough to be filled urgently (you have no idea how relieved I will be when this is fixed); aaaaand
c. best of all - Lorelei Jenner of Milou (the wee stockist in Lyttelton) was able to get just about all my stock out of her stricken shop and so this will make its way onto Felt as soon as I can.

Warning - if you are sick of all things earthquakey, skip to the end
 
I went to the Memorial Service for Christchurch in North Hagley Park on Friday.  It was a day to lament, but it was also a day to acknowledge the humanity evident within these dark days. 

Not just the contributions of hundreds of rescue workers, civil defence, army, coastguard... the people you see on telly in hardhats and no nonsense overalls; but for ordinary people - strangers on the streets who; in the blink of an eye turned their cars into ambulances, became medics; dug out neighbours houses; set up cables outside their powered houses so those less fortunate could charge their phones; went on water and milk and bread runs....so so so many acts of kindness.

 
A video was shown of our inner city, where only the mostly highly trained USAR can go - scenes we can only guess at.  This is the closest I have come in three weeks to my beloved studio space and the tears flowed - there are no words to describe how it feels to look at the rubble of your local coffee shop; 'Kilt' - my favourite dress shop I'll stop at to chat to the girls on my way to get a red bull from the diary; the bus stop on Colombo Street to take me home - all broken down to piles of bricks. 

I promise I will stop all this morbid posting soon.
I promise to take some photos of:
  • the mad pile of hats I've crocheted;
  • my op shop finds
  • holiday picks of the gorgeous Coromandel
  • the quilt I've started for Lala;
  • the scarfs I'm working on.....
  • peg apron tutorial
  • and about a zillon other little projects zinging around my noodle soon...that would be nice, a bit of normal.
Hope all is well in your world
Notchka

6 comments:

  1. Not morbid ;-) It's a subject close to us all at the moment, and if we need to 'talk' about it to help deal with it and the after effects, then talk we must. I know it helps me :) (hugs)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too has in tears watching the memorial service - it was done really well I thought. And seeing those pictures of the streets I have walked down & shopped at - it just is so surreal. But it made me want to go back to ChCh.
    Am happy that your house has been assessed & hope it all gets fixed quickly for you!
    And looking forward to seeing all your projects.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are here for you so don't feel that we don't want to know what you are going through and how you are feeling. We are ready to help where we can so stay stay strong and keep on sharing :) x x x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think it's morbid, I think it's the natural process of grieving and perfectly normal after something like this has occurred. The photos of your projects will happen but you're probably reorganising your thoughts to deal with the aftermath of the earthquake and that is enough for now. Keep well and lots of (hugs) from rural Oz.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to hear this update on how things are in your world Nin. Like the comments above me I also want to hear the good and the bad and share with you in it as much as can be from afar :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't mind hearing about your earthquake, diasters big and small are only recovered from with the strength of community, and that is what we are. Stay well :)

    ReplyDelete

It makes my day to recieve your comment, so thanks for taking the time! :o)