Saturday, April 9, 2011

Peg Apron Tutorial

:: Update :: October 2013.  
Hi. I'm really glad this pattern is still inspiring people.  I've had some mention that they are having trouble accessing Google Docs (where I was originally storing this for you online).  I have decided therefore to publish this on Craftsy.  You can find it here.  Yes - it is still a free pattern, but if it works out to be more accessible I may well migrate all my tutorials and patterns there.
All the best, Nin


The Peg Apron Tutorial.  Seriously this little beauty saves you a bit of bending and stretching, its not too long and the sides are shaped so the pegs are right where you want 'em.  This project could be done in a Sunday afternoon and doesn't require an overlocker.  Its pretty easy - if you had little experience I think you could manage it - but I would love your feedback on that and also the tutorial itself.  All constructive comments humbly received.

You can access the tutorial here and the pattern here.  As with all my tutorials, I'm happy for you to share them about, make as many as you like for your local market or to give away to friends but please do not pass this off as your own design.

If you don't have the time you can find some already made examples of this apron in my Felt shop.


Happy weekend everyone!

17 comments:

  1. Love this! I made a simple one for myself years ago (http://www.paisleyjade.com/2009/01/paisley-peg-apron.html) but it's getting pretty old and I really need to make a new one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just saying last week how much I need a peg apron!! thanks for the pattern... now to find the perfect fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delighted to see your apron. Just saw some new yummy Alexander Henry fabric in Stitch tonight that would look great in this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea, Nin! Love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great stuff. If I ever stop my personal feud with my sewing machine, I'll consider making it. That machine and I aren't the best of friends.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you very much for the tut and pattern. It will make the perfect Christmas present, exactly what I was looking for. You are very talented.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wen't to a expo a while ago and one stall was charging like $80 for theese. DEfinately going to make my own, Thanks soo much for the pattern

    ReplyDelete
  8. My mum used to make these for all the family out of upholstery remants & samples ..I had one in NZ that was nearly 20 yrs old & still going strong!
    Thankyou so much for this tutorial as I can now make myself a new one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd love to upload a pic to show you the apron I made today.
    Thanks again for your great tutorial..yep my mum would be proud!
    cheers
    Fi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fi! I would love to see what you've been making. Find me on Facebook - I'm pretty sure if you 'like' my page you can upload photos. https://www.facebook.com/NinsWardrobe

      Delete
    2. Notchka I have just posted a pic on your fb page!

      Delete
  10. I love this and want to make a few for presents , I am not an experienced seemstress and I seem to have alot of material left over with 65cms at 145 wide.. its like I could make at least 2. I havnt really figured out the waistband yet either.. sorry know its probably simple but just thought id ask..also not many materials i could find at spotlight that were 150 but many at 112 I guess you just have to buy more material at 112 to get the design of the material looking right.. thanks , jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen, I can't work out how to reply to you directly or send you an email, but yes you could get two out side by side. The reason I direct you to get the wider stuff is that you want thicker 'decorator' weight not quilting weight cotton and that typically comes in the 145-150 width - of course if you can find the right thickness and its narrower, then go right ahead and buy that. If you want to use the contact button at the top of my page and send me an email about the waistband, I'll try and help out. Nin

      Delete
  11. Hi Ninotchka...I finally worked it out! And yes I see what you mean about the heavier weight materials. Have made a 'prototype' for me and can actually make one out of 2 fat quarters though that material isn't as robust there are some really nice fabrics. Thanks for the pattern, the pleats make it look really smart . I'm going to make a couple for family presents..cheers , Jen

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, I am sorry I have read the instructions on the waist band but I don't seam to be getting the cutting instructions. Have made the rest of apron. I thought I would make yours.Can you help me. Thanks
    qaaf10@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. Cut two sections the width of the fabric in the dimensions I have given. Join them with a 1cm seam and press it open - now you have one really really long piece of fabric. Fold and press the fabric in half down the really long edge. Now use the shaping template given in the pattern to give the ends of the tie a nice shape. I hope this helps.

      Delete

It makes my day to recieve your comment, so thanks for taking the time! :o)