Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Red Strippy Quilt - Part one

Well, kicking of a month long series of tutorials on just what to do with all your fabric scraps it is my pleasure to introduce you to Roz of Squiltz

I first met Roz around 18 months ago at Stitch (craft store I used to work at).  She is an incredible stitcher and her blog is beautiful.   She invents new ways of doing things to achieve what she wants to do and I love that.  


So this talented lady who sells her original designs as patterns (you can get them from here) and teaches in lots of places including Stitch* has promised to share some free tutorials with you starting with how to make this Strippy Quilt.  


I just fell in love with this one at her house the other day - the vintage frill binding is so sweet!





*seriously if you can afford to get along to one of Roz's classes its money well spent - she is such a great teacher patient, knowledgeable, enthusiastic and funny 



I have heaps of fabric scraps to sort and lots of projects on the go.  This is one that I've recently completed.

Some of my favourite novelty strips (various widths) were selected to use in a strippy quilt.  Red fabrics were selected too but to ensure they did not dominate in an unruly way, I specifically used one red strip after every three novelty strips.  When the rows were joined I staggered the reds.

The strips were joined using my Quilt as U Row method.  It is sooo easy to do and enables you to use up off cuts of batting as well as fabric scraps. 

Over the next couple of weeks I will give you the instructions for making this quilt.


Instead of the usual binding I added a frill all around the quilt.  








I hope you have as much fun using up your scraps as I am having!
Pin It

3 comments:

  1. That looks great! I love how even though you have so much on your plate you find time to whip out a quilt- impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this quilt! Look forward to finding out how its made :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE this idea of a scrappy quilt xxx

    ReplyDelete

It makes my day to recieve your comment, so thanks for taking the time! :o)