Saturday, May 5, 2012

Kiddo nosh

Yesterday we went and had lunch with a dear friend who has chooks in her urban back yard.  It was so funny watching Lala chase the chooks and lift up the flap on the back of their house to look for eggs - as if they lay every 10 seconds!  Anyway we went home with 16 very large organic eggs - heaven!

So today I've been making up some picnic-y food for us to take to Angelina Ballerina tomorrow - its a bit of a trek down to Timaru but we think totally worth it for my dance-mad babe.

On the menu is this crustless quiche, shared with me by one of my lovely workmates years ago.  She made it for my birthday morning tea and it was sooo moreish.  Its a great one to make with Lala as she loved to crank the beater.  Woe be the person who attempts to do that - its her job!!


So for crustless quiche you need:

3 eggs
1.5 cups of milk
1 onion
1.2 cup of self raising flour
1 cup of grated cheese
chopped ham or bacon
Pepper and salt
...plus whatever else you have on hand - Helen suggested capsicum, zucchini, chives, parsley, etc.

Today I did frozen peas and dried basil.

Beat the eggs, then add the other ingredients and stir.  Bake in a buttered dish at 170oC for 40-45 minutes.  Cool slightly and cut into squares.

It is utterly delicious and great for little ones - it makes quite a bit, but keeps well in the fridge.  It would be perfect for a children's birthday party and you can totally 'posh it up' for adults, by pouring it into filo cups (use a muffin tin) - I've done olive, feta, rosemary (still put the grated cheese in, but add little chunks of feta).  Or try sundried tomato, anchovies (minced really fine - instead of bacon), yellow pepper and thyme for vegetarians.

You might want to pop by for a visit her on Monday, I've just been writing up a giveaway post with Mother's Day in mind.

Happy weekend to you, I'm off to make some Scotch Eggs (the Scot's answer to the Cornish Pastie?!)
Notchka x

Pin It

5 comments:

  1. I'm sure your daughter will love Angelina Ballerina. I took my Little Miss a few weeks ago and she sat in awe throughout and loved it. She still talks about it. I thought it was very well done and especially loved the very end as the curtain came down- you'll see. Have fun. Cx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great recipe! We have friends coming down from Auckland to visit after church tomorrow and I think I'll make this as well. Easy and delicious - my kind of food!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish my boy would eat yummy food like that! It would make life so much easier but he's very particular with his food and likes all the plain but crunchy foods. Have fun at Angelina Ballerina :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm crustless quiche is one of my favourite lunches. I don't bother poshing it up though! Thankfully I have a Mr who actually likes quiche which is even better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Guess what we're having for dinner tonight?!?

    ReplyDelete

It makes my day to recieve your comment, so thanks for taking the time! :o)