Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Handmade and back again.

Hello friends

Wow-ee what a fantastic weekend I have had.  As you know I was lucky enough to be invited back to teach two classes at Handmade 2012 this year.  This was the second year of the event and I must say I have nothing but compliments for the hard working team that staged this event.  150 classes, three venues, a cocktail party, a store and display at Te Papa....it was massive.  Despite all that I felt I was very well taken care of.
A selection of purses made by students
My classes were a zip purse and contemporary appliqué.   I guess my greatest worry when teaching is always have I pitched the class at the right level - not too hard, so that the project can be achieved in the time and not too easy, so that students feel that have learnt a lot and got good value for money from their time with me.

I want to thank everybody who came along, because its the people that make it so much fun and I get such great joy from seeing the finished projects.

A gorgeous idea for keeping young one's art works -
applique inspired by the original drawing on the right.
It will be pieced into a book bag once finished.

A couple of bold and simple cushion covers....

This student used remnants of furnishing fabric to create a textured design perfectly in keeping with the gecko motif
I really did appreciate all the lovely compliments I received about my skills - it does my heart good to know that I can share my passion with others who are just as keen!


Truthfully my feet didn't touch the ground, but I managed to catch up with all the friends and family I wanted too and add a Wellington stockist for my women's wear label Sailor Spy.  Early in the first day I left my camera   in one classroom, but I did get it back and so was able to take a few shots.  This was kind of a weekend of atmosphere if you know what I mean - there was so much to absorb I didn't really think to stop and take photos - I was too 'in the moment'.  Sorry

Thank you Wellington, thank you Handmade 2012 it was a pleasure and a priviledge


One of the every changing art instillations outside Te Papa.
One of three perspex  cubes filled with what looked like kelp (but was actually rubbish bags).
What interested me was the incredibly detailed and tiny catwalks and 'street lamps' constructed around these shapes. 

One of my weekend highlights was Sunday afternoon coffee at The Roxy -
a fully restored  early 20th Century cinema in Miramar (just down the road from Weta workshop).
I loved that the bar and wait staff's uniforms included bowlers - I felt like I had stepped back in time


Pin It

6 comments:

  1. Welcome back! Glad you had such a lovely, lovely time xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you had a great time :)
    Hope I can go one day!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just delighted that you had such a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bet Lala was pleased to see you when you got back! Welcome home.
    So so glad that you had a wonderful time and Yay for the new stockist :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an amazing weekend. Congratulations on the successful workshops - the results look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete

It makes my day to recieve your comment, so thanks for taking the time! :o)