Tuesday, January 15, 2013

The mother load {Part 1}


Just recently I was given a spectacular opportunity to go through some vintage fabric and bits before it went in a skip.  A lady I know was clearing out her mother's garage and shed.  The elderly lady had been a sewer and also run a Kindergarten for many years.

I didn't know what I would find, but I was greeted with gigantic pile - over a metre high and several metres wide.  Suffice to say I filled our car - boot, back seats, passenger seat.  I'm such a soft touch for the vintage stuff I just couldn't let it go to landfill - but where to put it all and what to do with it??

I have a few friends who also love the vintage, so I am currently working through it and washing it, sort it into piles for peeps and will bring you little tasters over coming weeks.


First up I got a few vintage toys.  I love the golly doll - I know she isn't PC, but she is made of black velvet and I think her face is so appealing.  I didn't expect my daughter to love her as much as I and yet she exclaimed 'how lovely' and 'oh Mummy she is missing a part of her nose, perhaps she needs someone to look after her'.  This just proves that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

And then there are the bunnies - I love these fellows, especially the knitted texture (moss stitch I suppose).  One of my dear friends loves bunnies so one of these is destined for her house.

Also an amusing 50's book on manners - the illustrations are amazing.

The elephant is also handmade and has only one ear.  This is not the first one-earred vintage elephant we've welcomed into our home.

Linking up with Blackbird has Spoken - where you'll find more Op Shopping vintagey goodness.

15 comments:

  1. That first photo is SO gorgeous. I love her little smile. These treasures are so great I just so thrilled with the fact they have gone to such a loving home x

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a haul! the toys are so beautiful, the golly-dolly especially is so appealing i can totally see why your both charmed by it. thank you for linking up x

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooooh! I can't wait to see the fabric!!!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, such gorgeous goodies. I can't wait to see more of your haul!
    Bless Lala and her caring heart. I love that she is going to look after the doll

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahaha...the pile of stuff you took away has me grinning. I love that feeling. Yay for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful opportunity! I wish my Gran had kept more of her stash, but she gave much away before she moved out of her home, and I suspect my Dad who helped her move may have looked at what was left and decided to get rid of it so it didn't end up at Mum and Dad's place.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like an amazing hoard...love those bunnies!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an opportunity to look through a stash of vintage fabric! I need to befriend some old ladies. Is that Romper Room book Australian? When I was a young girl in Australia there was a TV show called Romper Room. My brother was on it for an episode. Funny to see the name there. Looking forward to seeing the fabrics. Cx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would be having heart palpitations, gorgeous finds! Lovely to find another kiwi blog while blog hopping. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW what an amazing opportunity to be offered
    I would have been the same saving things for everyone I knew
    ps: I like gollys is that ok ?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazeballs! I'm with Clare, cannot.wait.to.see.the.fabric!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous Nin. And like others, fabric! Fabric! FABRIC!!!! Very jealous x

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an amazing find!!!!!
    Like mother like daughter, one of my daughters favorite things to do with me is go to estate sales! So fun!

    ReplyDelete

It makes my day to recieve your comment, so thanks for taking the time! :o)