Thursday, May 23, 2013

Country Drives {Inspiration}

I went to see a supplier in Fairlie, nestled in the foothills of Aoraki Mt Cook the other day.  The country drive from Geraldine to Fairlie along highway 79 is one of the prettiest in the area, especially at this time of year.

If I had thought to bring my camera the journey would have been that much long as I stopped to photograph each new avenue of birch, the falling down barn with a weeping willow and a moss covered wooden gate.... but as it was I resolved to enjoy the peace of driving on a country road, with no traffic and no noisy four year old in the back seat to entertain.


I'm always in awe of the way an overcast day intensifies the colours in the landscape - all rolling fields looked lush and vivid green; the last of the autumn leaves golden egg yolk yellow - contrast this against the bleach white birch trees and pockets of blue sky.  As I drove along I was think what an amazing colour scheme for improv pieced quilt.

But the expression came in a somewhat unexpected way.  On my way home I stopped at Ashfords (well known in these parts as a fibre/yarn/spinning/weaving mecca) for a coffee (aherm) - I guess its no surprise that I came away with these felted balls in all the colours I had enjoyed that morning.


I savored thoughts on what to do with my new purchases all the way home.   I was itching to make something stat, so taking inspiration from Clare, and a lovely handsewn cord idea over at Sonya's I've done my own interpretation on quite a popular necklace idea.


I made a spaghetti strap and threaded on some silver tubes - upcycled from a broken necklace, folded that around a jump ring and secured it with a few small stitches.  The tube then comes down to cover the stitching.  The balls are simply strung on a doubled over length of waxed cotton and sewn to each jump ring.

Total cost $2.60 for the balls - all other materials I found in my stash.  Took the best part of 3 hours - but most of that was trawling through my stash, auditioning various fabrics and findings.  

Joining in here:
Show & Tell Thursday's

13 comments:

  1. It's lovely
    I have family in Geraldine and it is the sweetest wee town

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's gorgeous Nin - I love your creative eye and it so captures the colours of the countryside. I must stop there for coffee some time too! ahem ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! Love the colours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm super jealous! Being a spinner I SO want to go to the Ashford shop! I love the necklace and the colours too xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. visiting from Show and Tell. This is fantastic. Love that it is $3. I love Geraldine and Mt Cook - we go there a lot. And Ashfords - wow isn't the shop looking amazing now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! Gorgeous colours too xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely lovelt. And how im fantasising of a coutry drive with no kids in the car now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That story makes the necklace that much more special...you'll be forever reminded of that quiet drive and stopping in at Ashford!!! I would love to go there one day..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful colours. Love it. Cx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Its just lovely and the colours are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's gorgeous Nin - looks store-bought! Sounds like a great trip x

    ReplyDelete

It makes my day to recieve your comment, so thanks for taking the time! :o)