Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Cosy


Here in New Zealand cosy simply means warm and comfortable.  But in Scotland where my husband hails from it has a much deeper meaning.  Cosy is not just physical warm and comfort but a feeling of contentment, safety, security and love.  He says "Cosy is being tucked up in a warm bed on a cold winter's morning and then you bring me a coffee."

I was reading FaerySarah's post on Gezellig and I think the Scot's cosy is much the same.  What a shame we Kiwi's don't have a word that encapsulates this feeling.

So - these slippers I made lately.  They put me in mind of that word.


I used hand spun yarn I've had in my stash - I love the colour, but its weight and texture hasn't suggested itself for much until now - using a treasured item is cosy.  

The pattern is one I bought something like 3 years ago.  It wasn't my intention to leave it this long.  I just haven't made a lot of space in my life to make for myself - but to take this time, that's also cosy.

As I worked alongside my husband lying on the sofa and he burrows his cold toes under my legs he declared "I need me some crochet socks" - I mentally add this to the PJ pants he needs and a scarf like the one I made Dad for his birthday last month.  A husband who wants my handmade goodness - well that's cosy indeed.


I would love to know what makes you feel cosy?

11 comments:

  1. Lovely cosy post :) and lovely cosy slippers :). The Afrikaans word is gesellig too and it really sums up alot of that warm gooey happy comfort. A wonderful word and feeling x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those slippers are lovely :) and perfect for handspun wool too!!
    Cosy for me is snuggled under a blanket with my slippers on, and knitting or handsewing infront of a logfire.....but since theres no logfire here, lying under the covers in my bedroom in the afternoon sun, when Mike is cooking dinner....is just as cosy. ( this happened last week when I was feeling underweather...doesn't happen often, but the sense of security and love is cosy indeed! )

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are the cutest! If I could, I would make them. Maybe i have a look at the pattern and see how I go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are beautiful Nin, you are defo living up to your blog title! Watching claud and Fin giving each other mutually adoring looks and holding each others hands is immensly 'cosy' as is having them both asleep cuddled up to me, which they are right now too x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those slippers are fab! Love the colour.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE these slippers !! !! !!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It never occurred to me that cosy meant anything other than the Scottish definition! And yes, cosy is probably the best translation of gezellig that I can think of!
    Love the new slippers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. YAY! cosy is so much easier to pronounce too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh I absolutely ADORE these slippers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Snuggling next to someone special is super cosy...which is what I did alot of last week in your beautiful country...very cute slippers. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the colours of those slippers! I've got that pattern too (I happen to personally know the designer!) but I'm yet to make a pair, I must get on to it now I've seen yours, I've got slipper envy! xxx

    ReplyDelete

It makes my day to recieve your comment, so thanks for taking the time! :o)