Thursday, July 25, 2013

Warmth

This weeks makin's - just another small yarn project.  This week it was Pippy Slippers for my man - easy and very customisable.


I've come full circle with craft in generally and am really enjoying making practical things for people I love this winter.  

For too long I made for markets, and for any of you who have done that/are doing it you'll understand that creating something original, that people want to buy for the price you deserve is harder than it seems. It inevitably turns into a job - and for me creating under pressure and replicating the same thing over and over and over sucked all the joy out of it.


However, I do think I will return to selling some of my craft at some point in the future.  I have one good reason for this and its well - this blog.  I've had the opportunity to have the long lend of a good DSLR camera (which I since returned some months ago - but I reckon you can just about tell by the quality of the pictures here - they got better for a while and then crap again).  

I found that having a camera that could better capture the world I see - the depth, the colour, the intricate details - in sharp focus just made this whole blog thing so much more fun.  The writing comes easier too; when I capture an image that reflects the though(s) I had at that time.

I would really like to save for a DSLR camera, and I can't see how I can manage it on our current budget - so perhaps a little Facebook sale down the track would be the way to go.  Thoughts?



Playing with Leonie here
 Show & Tell Thursday's

8 comments:

  1. these are cool... and you know what i say go for that camera girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome slippers! I have a DSLR, it takes pretty pictures but I don't use it as often as I should.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I was saving for a DSLR along with a bunch of things... desperately want/need one! but alas retaining walls don't keep themselves up apparently :( Love making things with meaning and totally get you re the joy being sucked out of tasks! Great slippers x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Nin, i saved for nearly a year for mine, though that included all my 40th birthday cash too, it can be done! ( I bought it in the end from Big Norman because it was almost $500 cheaper than the shop price! have a look at their website and see if it seems more feasible to you xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great snuggly slippers ( lucky man ) and yes I can see how creating things over and over can take the joy out of it. I felt that way when I sewed up seven pairs of shorts at once for the boys.
    And I totally agree about the camera, I am currently looking for one aswell, as at the moment (my good one fell of the shelf ) I'm having to use my video camera to take photos and it makes me cringe everytime I load another grainy and fuzzy photo! Lucky for me though after the sale of the business and factory, there is a small amount allocated to me ( I allocated it to me!) for a new camera. Its my last hoorah before we budget to the last cent as we now have no income until our new business is started...and theres a garage to be built aswell!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do agree with you. Good pictures can really make a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bought my DSL from the proceeds of a craft fair . . . but know EXACTLY what you mean about having the joy sucked out of things when you're making the same thing, over and over again. I haven't done a fair in a couple of years now. Having said that, I think I might apply for a craft fair later in the year. Enough time has passed for me want to do it again. And a bit of extra cash would be useful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know what you mean about crafting under pressure and loosing the love for it. It's hard. Your stuff is super cute though and I'm sure you'd make some pocket money towards a new camera by making some crafty-goodies!! I'm in!
    XO

    ReplyDelete

It makes my day to recieve your comment, so thanks for taking the time! :o)