Thursday, September 26, 2013

Push the River

My mother is forever chiding me with 'Don't Push the River'.  I've grown up with this proverb, but only recently I 'Googled it' an founds its an old Chinese Proverb, via a best selling 1970's self help book.
Don't push the river, it flows by itself
That's my mother though - an eclectic mix of Catholicism, Irish folklore, Kiwi-ness and a soupçon of Chinese Buddhism it would seem.


I'm a great 'river pusher' if I'm honest.  Its been my mission to slow down a little this year and be more present in the here and now.

So what's this to do with the pillow slip?  Classic river pushing moment.  I bought this fabric with some kind of fabulous satchel/library bag in mind for Lala.  I've had it for months and I keep 'building bags' in my mind.


At the same time as I'm dreaming up this fabulousness Lala's pillowslip came out of the wash with a tear right down the middle. I remember Clare at Green Valley Crafts did something similar a while back.  Seems she must have been on to something.


Just another little reminder to be in the moment - observe what we need and make that (rather than buy it).
More creative peeps here:

 Show & Tell Thursday's




Pin It

10 comments:

  1. Love it!! I really love this fabric as pillowcases. I think I shall buy some more, Eloise needs one too. :)
    XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful pillow case. Love the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it, love the pillowcase and that is one fantastic saying x

    ReplyDelete
  4. love it - the slip is gorgeous and I can see why you loved the fabric. Good for you for not pushing the river :o) x

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea! Love the fabric - so cute :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh its so beautiful!!! and such a good idea to make instead of buy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thats a great way to use that fabric....teams up so well with her quilt too!
    I have a pile of fabric just waiting to be made into the projects I bought them for.....though I spend most of my time as you do thinking over and over of new ways to create and use them.
    Thinking in the now sounds like a good idea to me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That fabric is lovely and such a good use for it...love that proverb too. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is this Belle and boo fabric? Where did you get it from? It looks beautiful and it's so nice to have a special place to lay your head.

    ReplyDelete
  10. gorgeous! i love this little space. would love to see more...

    ReplyDelete

It makes my day to recieve your comment, so thanks for taking the time! :o)