Thursday, October 31, 2013

Endurance

Sometimes life is like a triathlon where you can't see the end in sight.

The word endurance keeps popping into my head and I've sat with it lately.  What does it mean to endure when you don't know for how long you must keep on keeping on?


I guess you have to take your breaks where you can find them.  See the beauty and the kindest where you can.  Even if the best thing that happens to you in a day is someone lets you in in heavy traffic.


Accepting that you can't know when your home will be torn down, but knowing that it will, is an anxiety I never thought I would endure in my life.

Knowing that there is precious little in the way of alternatives that you can afford when it does happen and sit with that knowledge year after year as house prices sky rocket beyond the affordable is a bitter pill.

I've often wondered if I'm so anxious about this because I'm 'a control freak', but reading about fellow Christchurch people's journeys on blogs and social media I realise I'm just normal.  We're a whole town of anxious, wrapped up in heartbreak with a sprinkling of hope.


{Photos are from the Pallet Pavilion and Temple for Christchurch.  The last one with the names painted on the pallets show the families and businesses who contributed to the building of the Pallet Pavilion - faithfully people hunkered down and prepared to endure}

Pin It

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the comment on my blog - I too wish that jumper was in adult sizes..... like I do with so many kids clothes, ha ha!
    Thinking of you Nin, everything will work out in the end, I just hope it happens quickly for you and your lovely family. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always comforting to know that we are not alone in our feelings and thoughts. Big hugs, hope you see lots of hope today xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that is a lot to endure....thoughts are with you and your fellow city ..... xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. thinking of you and praying you won't just find the strength to endure you'll also find peace in the storm xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Nin, we really need to get together for a good old chinwag without my crazy two year old around to distract the conversation! How about meeting up on an evening or something?
    Hugs! Thinking of you and missing catching up with you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I understand this, but on a different subject....I too wonder whether there will ever be an end or whether we will have better control over it.....somedays it feels like it's spiralling out of our control, which is scary and not good for the old anxieties! But stopping and seeing the beautiful and promising aspects in life do help, if only for a moment. Take care Nin xxx

    ReplyDelete

It makes my day to recieve your comment, so thanks for taking the time! :o)