Thursday, January 23, 2014

Quilt-y

Lately, I've picked up my knitting, my camera, my drawing stuff, my journal - none of these things felt quite right.  Its been a quilt-y kind of period for me.  

I insisted on taking my sewing machine and a basket full of supplies with us on holiday to The Sounds.  It was only accessible by boat and involved walking all our gear up a somewhat steep hill to get to the house, so it was a bit of an ask. 

My husband may have curse my name once or twice.  



So forgoing one day of fishing and sunburn I had the peace and the space for some creative time. I sewed to the sounds of cicadas and bell birds - unbridled bliss I tell you.


Border attached
This first one is for our bed.  I think I showed it as a WIP here - now it has a boarder and I've pieced the back.  I'm going to hand quilt this with grey pearle 8 cotton.  The hand-work will be a good winter project I think.


Backing pieced.....all ready to quilt
This next scrappy one is a design of my own devising.  It's a bit of a natural progression from the lap quilt I did last year for my daughter using a charm pack.  


The front....
I've been taking notes so that I can share this with you in the form of a tutorial for using up scraps (or charm packs or charm packs and scraps).  It also uses a piece of beautiful silver/lilac linen that's been languishing in my stash for several years.  I love the subtle sheen good quality linen has.  


....aaand the back
I can't decide whether I want to do a binding-less quilt, envelope style or use a rose coloured linen for binding.  Also I'm tossing up between hand quilting lightly between the scrappy sections with pearle 8 in lilac or doing and all over free motion - perhaps long lines with little leaves like this:

lovely
Source

Thoughts??  What are you working on this week?  I'm linking in with Tami at Freshly Pieced and Leonie at Sunshine x 3, and hope that this will be a semi-regular occurrence throughout the year 
WIP Wednesday at Freshly PiecedShow & Tell Thursday's


8 comments:

  1. It looks great! I like the bubbles and leaves quilting, but would like it big and only over the solid fabric. But I also like the idea of handquilting because it will be softer looking and feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooooo they look awesome! love the idea of handquilting - soft and therapeutic :) Love how "stained glass" quilts look against a window backdrop!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh I LOVE your quilts! They are so non-granny-ish which is my chief complaint about quilting. Yours are lovely and the colour combinations really pop. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these! Their simplicity and style really appeals to me! Ooooo and I can just imagine the grey stitches on your bed quilt! and yes I love the idea of the leaves on the second scrappy quilt! What a great way to use up all those pieces...I look forward to your tutorial :))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh and I have a great visual of a not so impressed husband lugging that machine up the hill!! hehehehe.....its something I would have insisted of my hubby too! hehe

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that you took your machine away with you, it must have been such an inspiring place to sew!
    I think you made a great choice with the border on the first quilt and love the linen on the second one. I agree with Karyn that if you are brave enough to do FMQ, keep it to the linen and keep it simple with stitch the ditch or something around the coloured blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like that idea for the quilting. Scrappy is great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The sound of hand quilting as a winter project sounds so inspiring. I'm looking forward to watching these progress over the year. How cool you managed to take your sewing machine with you - sounds like it was an amazing place to sew. x

    ReplyDelete

It makes my day to recieve your comment, so thanks for taking the time! :o)