Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Gone as the season she's taken*

The other week we took a day trip to Hawdon Valley near Arthur's Pass.


Here we laid my cat of 19 years to rest in a wild meadow in a palm of the Southern Alps.


I miss them.  A thousand times a day, I start to think I'll just pop in on Momma.... When I'm preparing dinner or sitting down to it, I have a moments confusion "why isn't Mia {my cat} winding herself between my legs angling for a tidbit".  And then I remember.

Life is like a river - it flows on despite everything, and right now I have School Camp and a Sunday school outing, and various other reasons to keep on functioning.

In other news, we have had a succession of long hot days that marks the end of summer here in Canterbury.


The trees on our street look parched, heat stressed.


Soon the gutters will have disappeared beneath autumn's mantel.


Observing these signals, I've taken up a project I worked on while sitting with my dying grandmother.  I couldn't look at it for a while, but I must.  Autumn is in the air, soon the wee one will be needing it.  Besides, if my Momma taught me anything it was to flow with life as graciously as possible.

I will return to normal writing, maybe in a week or two.  I feel as though I'm emerging slowly from a very deep dive into the ocean.  I can see diffuse light above me and I'm heading for it.

*lyric from Bob Dylan, Ballad in Plain D

6 comments:

  1. I thank you for taking the time to come to dinner in amongst your grief xxx it was good to deliver the hug in person

    ReplyDelete
  2. Take your time sweet lady :)) I wish you much love, and peace in those moments when you need it xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thinking of you. You write very beautifully my friend x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautifully written post Nin - Big hugs to you and take all the time you need - grief and life happen as their own pace xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Nin, I'm in tears. What a beautiful place to lay her to rest. Lots of love x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Return to blogging in your own sweet time dear friend. We are here when you are ready. Big hugs :)

    ReplyDelete

It makes my day to recieve your comment, so thanks for taking the time! :o)